I hope everyone is healthy and happy as you are making plans for the holidays. Whether you observe Christmas as a religious holiday, cultural tradition, a consumer experience, feel neutral towards it or actively avoid it, the season is here. My son and I put up our Christmas tree this past week- it is an artificial tree, the same one we have been using since before he was born. Our red Buddha is winsome in his Santa’s hat and he is ready for the season as well. Here are some things to look forward to –
- Breakfast with Santa– Councilmember Celina Benitez is organizing Breakfast with Santa in Potts Hall December 22, 10am -Noon. You can have your picture taken with Santa and each child will receive a Christmas surprise to take home with them.
- Christmas Baskets– The city is collecting food for the Christmas baskets at the Police Station and City Hall. Mayor Miles, staff, and volunteers are organizing the effort. For more information, please contact City Clerk DBelton@MountRainierMD.org.
Now that the Recreation Committee has a new leader in Resident in Danielle Carter, the Committee has planned some activities for everyone:
- Stockings for Seniors– Seniors at Rainier Manor will receive stockings full of goodies.
- Mount Rainier Parade of Lights– The Recreation Committee will tour the city and give out prizes to the best decorated houses for a variety of categories. We invite you to tour the city and vote for your favorite. The one with the most votes from residents will be given the “People’s Choice Award.”
- Cider Stations– While you are going around the city admiring the festivities, stop by one of the councilmembers’ Cider Stations
Mayor Miles will have her station at 30th Street Basketball court.
Councilmember Celina Benitez will have hers at 37th Street Park.
Councilmember Shivali Shah’s (me) will be opposite the 31st Street Pocket Park between Taylor and Upshur. I will have Indian tea “masala chai” as well as Mexican hot chocolate.
Details on Councilmembers Luke Chesek and Bryan Knedler are forthcoming.
Dec 22, 6pm-9pm
If you are a senior in Mount Rainier and would like to receive a stocking, want the committee to visit your festive home, or have any other request, please contact the Recreation Committee: RecreationCommittee@MountRainierMD.org
For more information on these activities, visit https://recreationcommitte6.wixsite.com/mrrec
Hope to see you at my Cider Station (which will have chai and Mexican hot chocolate)!